What is Mental Toughness?
“Mental Toughness is a quality which determines, in some part, how effectively individuals perform when exposed to stressors, pressure and challenge .... irrespective of the prevailing situation”
Published research and case studies form around the world show that Mental Toughness is a major factor in:
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals
- Positive Behaviour – more engaged, more positive, more “can do”
- Wellbeing – more contentment, better stress management , less prone to bullying
- Aspirations - more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk
How can we assess Mental Toughness?
We are also able to assess mental toughness through a unique 48 item high quality psychometric measure - MTQ48. It is normative which enables users to assess mental toughness before and after an event such as a training & development or coaching programme.
Can we develop Mental Toughness?
We can. We can either help someone change their mental toughness or we can show someone how to adopt the behaviours that a mentally tough person would adopt. Either way many of the benefits of developing mental toughness can be achieved. AQR has a programme of interventions which suits all applications.
AQR’s work means that we now have:
- The ability to define and describe an important aspect of our personality - Mental Toughness
- A concept which is accessible to everyone and which helps to explain performance, wellbeing and behaviour
- The first psychometric measure which measures an individual’s Mental Toughness – it is valid & reliable.
- A Mental Toughness Development programme which delivers measurable results.
The result is a complete package which has valuable applications in the social, health, educational and occupational worlds. It applies to every aspect of developing and maintaining human capital.